Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Graphic Tees, please!


Graphic tees! We've all got them, but how to wear them? My friend D was asking how to style one so here's some suggestions for pairing your graphic t shirt for work or casual wear.

| The Pencil Skirt |
If you are trying to find something to pair your graphic tee for work, this really depends on the shape of your tee and making it work proportionally. Since opposites attract (or in this case, match) a looser, printed tee can be nicely complimented with a pencil skirt. The tee can be loose, half-tucked, or fully tucked in. Adding a belt or long, simple necklace helps to add interest, but be careful to not overwhelm the outfit since the graphic is the focal point - ex: the first photo to the left is cute, but the large necklace makes it difficult to read the graphic. 

Tip: If you have a tight-fitted graphic tee, although it would look sleek with a pencil skirt, a flared or bell shape skirt would compliment the tee better creating a more flattering, lady-like silhouette.

| The Blazer |
Have a casual day at work? Rock your favorite graphic tee with a blazer to dress up the tee so it doesn't look like you're just wearing tee and jeans. This combination can be modified by: tucking in your tee and wearing a belt; fun jewelry, either necklaces or bracelets; capri or ankle cut pants; dressing it up with heels; and switching the blazer for a cardigan which can be left open or semi-buttoned.

| Keeping It Simple |
If you have a graphic tee that has an image which is particularly large or intricate,  sometimes the best way to pair the tee is the simplest. Try wearing a graphic tee with your favorite jeans, but spicing up the mix with fun, on-trend heels and a bright, eye catching purse. Or go all matchy-matchy, matching your tee with your pants and heels, using  accessories to pull out the colors in the graphic tee you want to accent. Colored pants are always a fun pairing for a more neutral graphic tee. Finally, try and contrast the content of your graphic. Graphic is a heart? Well add some punk sneakers and a studded purse to contrast your sweet print.

| Weekend Wear |
My favorite way to wear graphic tees are for casual weekend wear (mainly because I only have a few graphic tees). Messy hair, comfy moto jacket, and ripped jeans is the easiest weekend outfit. For warmer weather, a graphic tee with denim cut-offs and a cute hat is a simple pairing. Finally, wearing your graphic tee with a colored coat which really compliments your appearance (for me, cobalt is the best - like this girl!) and gives you a chance to just rock the graphic tee when you arrive to your destination. 



How do you pair your graphic tees?
Do share!!


Xxxo,
t

27 comments:

  1. Great topic!
    I like my graphic tees the best with jeans too,esp boyfriend jeans.Just adding some heels and the outfit is perfect.

    Btw. i reviewed the micro tweed jacket on friday in case you are thinking about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post Tasia...makes me want to break out one of my graphic tees stat! Such cute looks :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG THANKS T!
    All of their outfits are so cute! :D I'm really digging the tshirt with skinny jeans, with or without a blazer.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BWAHAHA! You're welcome lady! Can't wait to see how you style yours :D

      Delete
  4. Very great suggestions! I love my graphic tees so it's the best when you can translate that "comfy weekend style" into work wear! My favourite is the pencil skirt combo. The blazer look is a common casual Friday or weekend look for me.

    http://theworldfrommystilettos.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely a fan of the blazer version. I'm a little obsessed with my blazers so this would be a look that I would try. Great post!

    Amy

    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always worn graphic tees with jeans, but am now inspired to try other styles. Thanks for posting!

    Sylvia
    www.sylvialovespink.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great inspiration. I've recently been wearing my touristy NYC graphic tee!!!
    Happy Wednesday Hun xoxo
    http://www.intotheblonde.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Graphic tees are so fun. It is so playful to pair one with something structured like a pencil skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of graphic tees with pencil skirts, especially the look on the left! We aren't actually allowed to wear graphic tee's in my office (sad face) but I would still rock this look on the weekend!

    Kristina

    Kristina does the Internets

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. I love your blog
    xoxo
    www.welovefur.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how graphic tees can dress down any outfit but also look classy. I love it with a pencil skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love a graphic tee with a feminine skirt. Great post girl! XO!

    Elvy
    Pigtails and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute! I love the one with the exclamation point and shorts. I want to wear that!

    Alyssa
    The Glossy Life

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing post, as usual. I only wear graphic tees with jeans and shorts because I am not really original about it. However, I would like to try it with a skirt so... great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great inspiration! I am not really a tee-shirt gal but there are so many cute graphic ones right now! I would definitely wear one dressed up a bit with a pencil skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I really want a graphic tee, these are styled in such cute ways. I like it with the blazer especially :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fabulous! I love all of these combinations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is SO helpful as I have a total weakness for graphic tees but then never know how to style them except with a blazer and jeans! LOVE the Kate Spade one with a pencil skirt!
    xx, Emily
    http://soanthro.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a helpful guide! I'll use it for inspiration in styling my Pink Floyd tee. I'd love to see you rocking one of these looks.

    May the force be with you.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for your great post! Wholesale Tees come with a side part with 'skin' and is pre-styled with lush waves and short bangs for a natural, beautiful overall look.

    ReplyDelete
  21. love these ideas!! just had a guest blogger share how she styled one! :) cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a great guide Tasia! I LOVE graphic tees... I probably own too many and don't wear them enough lol. I am pinning this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a fantastic post.
    I love the typographic graphic art with the striped pencil skirt.
    Who made that skirt and where can I get one?

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a fantastic post.
    I love the typographic graphic art with the striped pencil skirt.
    Who made that skirt and where can I get one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That picture is from a juicy couture spring 2013 campaign so it's likey juicy! Hope that helps!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate the support <3